Hey Tater here:

This may seem like a weird post, but allow me to explain.  I have been priviledged to work with the Acute Rehab staff at BroMenn for the past several months and have truly enjoyed myself.  They have all been such a joy to work with.  They surprised me the other day with this potato as an honor to my name.  This is truly one potato that happened to look like Mickey Mouse.  Their artistic ability really did turn this tater into Mickey.

Now for the story behind the name…

Why the name you ask?  Well I get this question a lot, so I thought I would let everyone in on how my nickname (name) came to be.  When I was a baby, I did not crawl as my siblings did.  I would crawl using my head and feet.  I really did not use my knees a whole lot.  I really liked the static electricity that it created.  I would crawl for hours in this position.  When I would run into something, I would just back up and go a different direction.  However, my nickname used to be Taterbug.  Yes, Taterbug!  Mom told me that there was a bug that used to like the potato plants in our garden.  They were kind of hunched over looking, and I must have resembled that because this is how my amazing mom first coined my name.  Now that I am so much more mature, (right), it has been shortened to Tater.  As a child I did not like the name at all and many in the family would tease me about my name.  It really was easier to call me Tater because if you used my birth name, David, then it was hard to distinguish between my dad and me. There are a lot of benefits to having the same name as your dad, but it does have its draw backs and so “Tater” it is.  Many of my friends and colleagues call me Tater, but there are a few that just cannot bring themselves to using that name.  I am really OK with any name. I just am so used to responding to Tater that if you call me David, I may not answer right away.  Again thank you to my parents for a rockin’ name and for a lifetime of explaining myself, really I do love it. 🙂

Acute Rehab – Thank you so much for this and for putting up with me.

Tater

1. Marie August 31st, 2009 9:14 am

How cool Tater! After a lifetime of calling you Tater I do forget your legal name is David. Love you~!

2. Denise August 31st, 2009 10:48 am

You’re the BEST Tater!!
    A great brother and a great co-worker I am sure – they were lucky to have the opportunity to work with you:)
    I love their “tater” gift – how fun and creative!
    Fun picture too!!
    Love you!

3. Jan August 31st, 2009 12:35 pm

Ok, you know me. I”m still trying to picture how you looked when you “crawled” using your head and feet. Was your butt sticking up in the air? Could you see where you were going? and how does that represent a tater? I’m sorry, I guess I’m kinda slow. Love the picture though, sounds like the people at work like you, of course!!!! We missed seeing you last night Tater. Loved your gift of shoes that you got Haley and Landon. I told Haley she looked like a teenager. Also, loved the pictures!!! Thanks for the extra gift!!! You guys are too much!!!

Love, Jan

4. Haley August 31st, 2009 5:06 pm

Haha Jan. Your comment cracks me up. I love reading what you write. We tried to explain it a little better above. But yes, I believe his butt was sticking up, and I do not know how he could see where he was going. He resembled a potato bug. It was fun hanging out last night. Our team rocked! 😉

5. Amber September 1st, 2009 12:51 pm

So fun to read – you have to love background stories like that. I’m with Jan, I think a photographer should at least have ONE picture of this to help explain. : )

6. lynne September 4th, 2009 6:28 am

thank you for this post, tater! i have often wondered about your name. what an awesome story. your parents do rock! i am married to a man who was given “steve” as his birth name, but took on the name “gonzo” when he was 16 (long story). now, at 46, VERY few people call him steve (his mother is about the only one i can think of – can’t bring herself to do it). gonzo fits him so much better, and though i don’t know you i have a feeling tater fits you better too. 🙂